Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Lost Scrolls (Twisted Roots BK#2) by: Shelly Goodman Wright

Synopsis:
Three scrolls. Three continents. Three demons in pursuit.
     Jessica wants nothing more than to stay on the protected grounds of the Okefenokee Swamp and plan her wedding, but the spirit of her dead father has other plans and leads her to a wooden chest. Inside the battered antique, an old secret is uncovered, sending Jessica on the adventure of her life.
     Demons on her trail, an unexpected red-haired rival wanting her dead, and the heartache of leaving her fiance, overshadow Jessica's desire to unravel her twisted family tree.

My Review: 3.5 Stars
     I Won!!! Yay...I received this book on a Goodreads giveaway from the author and here's my review.
For me the aspect of The Lost Scrolls that changed my mind from 4 stars to 3.5 was the awkward sexual tension between Jessica and Hunter. And I mean awkward in its aggressiveness, almost to the point of dominance and the conversations that I felt were melodramatic. What finally hit it home was Hunters' reaction to the dancing at the end of the book. I know Twisted Roots is a Christian Lit book and it definitely makes a point of abstinence with young unmarried people but I felt that it was forced in an unrealistic way. Though I do appreciate the author trying to capture what young couples go through and their internal conflicts. However, regardless of that, I loved the twist and turns Jessica's adventure had and what a fantastic, magical world Shelly Goodman Wright has brought to life. It was great learning along with Jessica about a past that she didn't know she was really missing. I would love to see artist renditions of the characters. Unfortunately, try as I might at my local library I just couldn't find a copy of A Light into the Darkness, book 1 of the Twisted Roots trilogy, I never had a chance to read it but I'm on the hunt for it now. When I do get my hands on a copy, it'll be a great prelude to what I have already read and help to give the back story on Jessica and Hunter's beginning and the adventure that proceeded The Lost Scrolls. But that being said The Lost Scrolls definitely holds its own. I look forward to reading what Mrs. Goodman Wright has in store for Jessica, Hunter and the Cherokee tribe of the Okefenokee Swamp in book 3 of the Twisted Roots trilogy "Legacy".

No comments:

Post a Comment