Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin


SYNOPSIS:
     "Sixteen people were invited to the reading of the very strange will of the very rich Samuel W. Westing. They could become millionaires, depending on how they played the game.
The not-quite-perfect heirs were paired, and each pair was given $10,000 and a set of clues (no two sets of clues were alike). All they had to do was find the answer, but the answer to what?
The Westing game was tricky and dangerous, but the heirs played on, through blizzards and burglaries and bombs bursting in the air. And one of them won!
With her own special blend of intricacy, humor, and upside-down perceptions, Ellen Raskin has entangled a remarked cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot. She then deftly unravels it again in a surprising (but fair) and highly satisfying ending."

MY REVIEW: 3 STARS
     I first came upon this book while looking through available books on PBS (PaperBackSwap) and hopping over to Goodreads to read an overview, which peeked my interest. I grabbed a copy at my local library and was not disappointed.  I got goosebumps, I was puzzled and I cried. But that was the point, right? The Westing Game is a Great whodunit story reminiscent of the board-game Clue. I really enjoyed Raskin's characters and finding out the intertwining lives they have led. And of course the end, where I cried, was prefect. I gave this book 3 stars because the beginning, while nicely introducing you to the plot and characters, was a little on the slow side for me. But the rest of Westings' game was full speed ahead. I will definitely reread The Westing Game again in a couple of years and I encourage anyone who likes a nice easy-read mystery to pick this book up.


No comments:

Post a Comment