Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H G Wells

Synopsis:
     An Enormously inventive tale about a mad surgeon turned vivisectionist on a remote island who preforms ghoulish experiments that transform animals into men. It is one of Well's earliest and most sinister personifications of the scientific quest to control and manipulate the natural world, and ultimately human nature.

My Review: 3.5 Stars
     I've been wanting to read this book for a while but with the publication of The Madman's Daughter trilogy and a novel by Guy Adams I came across called Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Dr. Moreau I knew I needed to get started. When a book comes out that makes reference to another book, I try to read the first so I feel I have a full picture of where the author is going.
     This is my first Well's novel and I enjoyed it. The story is told from the point of view of Edward Prendick, an unexpected visitor to the island who was found at sea, after the boat he was on sunk, by Dr. Montgomery(Moreau's assistant) on his return trip with his cargo of animals. Prendick can't help feeling something is off and vaguely remembers the name Moreau. When he runs into some of the islands other inhabitants he starts putting two and two together and fears for his safety. Oh, by the way, he finally remembers where and under what circumstances he had heard of the name Moreau, not to his relief of course. Moreau was a scientist who was shunned and run of after his experimentation on animals was discovered. So that makes 3 Humans and more than a couple dozen Creatures, what are the odds something could go wrong?
     It took me a little getting use to the writing style and I have to admit to googling a few words. Like Vivisection, which is The cutting of or operation on a living animal usually for physiological or pathological investigation. If that definition makes you queasy you may not want to read this book. There are some gross parts but the vivisection is not written in detail, thankfully.
     It's a short book and if you want to get a taste of 1896 Horror or H G Well's stories I definitely encourage you to pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment