Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Synopsis:
THERE SHE SITS, THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN. WHAT SHE SEES, GAZING OUT THE WINDOW, WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING.

EVERY DAY THE SAME
     Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She looks forward to it. She's even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life-as she sees it- is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
UNTIL TODAY
     And then she sees something shocking. It's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough. Now everything's changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
Compulsively readable, The Girl on the Train is an emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller and an electrifying debut.

My Review: 4 Stars
     WoW, what an ending. First off, I want to point out that yes I can see why people associate this book with Gone Girl. But where Gone Girl lost it for me, the ending really??? This book did not. This story is mainly narrated by Rachel, but later we get Jess/Megan's and Anna's as well. I borrowed this book from a friend and as she hands it to me she forewarns me that the beginning is a little slow but the end gets so much better and I kind of have to agree. Maybe it's not so much slow as redundant. Actually, the part that was redundant for me gets explain later on, but while I was reading that was the most boring part for me. It's the kind of book that had me yelling at the pages at times and made me uncomfortable and frightened for the characters. I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to spoil anything. Because this book is sooooooo worth reading to the end! If you like books that make you think you know what's going on and then it has you questioning everything you thought you knew then you'll like The Girl on the Train.

No comments:

Post a Comment